School is out and we are expecting that hot summer heat to melt our metal oven of a Gym!! Don't worry, we have all those nice powerful fans blasting and circulating air to cool you down! Beginning June 1st 2017, we will be changing up the class times. Come get your workout in and then go enjoy some rays by the pool, lake, or take a river floaty ride on the Yellow River! Call or email us to get started. We will help you reach your summer goals!! why do it alone when you have an amazing CrossFit Community in town who are willing to push you and help you!!
- Jessie M.
I know that Memorial Day holds a special place in the hearts of all of us. It's much more than just a paid day off work and chance to cookout at the lake. It's a day to remember the heroes that given their lives for the freedom that allows us to do those things.
We'll be getting together for Murph to pay tribute to Lt. Michael Murphy as well as those countless other heroes who have made the ultimate sacrifice for our country.
We'll be having two classes, 9am and 10am, so come out ready to give it your all!
Also, if you want to register for the Murph Challenge you can follow the link below to do so. I know a couple of us have done it in the past. It's a great charity organization that helps families who have lost service members. You'll be able to read specifics on the website.
Hope to see you all next Monday!
With an Influx of fresh meat for the CrossFit Grinder over the last few weeks, we wanted to create a file for all the crazy words we seem to make up as we explain the daily workouts! Please read it over and soon you will be teaching the newbies who walk through the door all the fancy CrossFit terminology!
CrossFit Acronyms and Abbreviations
● AMRAP- as many rounds (or reps) as possible
● BS- Back squat. Bar is on upper back when squatting
● BWT- body weight
● C2B- chest to bar. A pull up that requires you to make contact with your chest to the bar in order to count the rep.
● CF- crossfit
● CLN- clean. Explosively lifting an object from the ground and receiving it in the front rack position
● C&J- clean and jerk. Combining the clean movement and jerk movement together before returning the bar to the floor
● DL- deadlift. Standing a weight up from the floor ending with it at your hips
● DNF- did not finish. Unacceptable in most crossfit boxes.
● EMOM- every minute on the minute
● FS- front squat. Bar is in front rack (collarbone) position when squatting
● GHD- glute ham developer. a device that allows for posterior chain exercise, such as a hip extension, sit up or a back
● GPP- general physical preparedness
● HNG- “hang”. Movement does not start with bar on ground
● HRPU- hand release push up. Typical push up, but at bottom of rep lift hands off of ground then replace them and
continue with rep. Anti- cheating push up
● HSPU- handstand push up. In a handstand, perform a pushup by lowering your head to the ground, then pressing yourself
back up to lockout.
● KIPPING- using momentum driven by your hips to complete a movement faster creating an aerobic effect
● KBS- kettlebell swing. Using your posterior chain, swing a kettlebell from hip height to eye level or higher
● K2E- knee to elbow. Hanging from a pull up bar, using your abs, pull your knees up as you bend your elbows until they
make contact then return to hanging
● METCON- metabolic conditioning. An aerobic type of workout designed to increase metabolism, elevate heart rate and
get you sweating!
● M/U- muscle up. Hanging from rings or a bar pull your body up to a dip position and then press up out of the dip
● OHS- overhead squat. Squatting with the bar overhead with arms locked out
● PWR- power. means no squat allowed
● PR- personal record
● PP- push press. Using your hips to drive an object overhead
● PJ- push jerk. Similar to push press except you “catch” the weight overhead in a mild squat position before standing up
● PU- pull ups. Hanging from rings or a bar, using your back and arms, pull yourself until your chin clears the height of that
● RFT- rounds for time
● Rx’d- as prescribed or as written. Workout is done without any adjustments
● RM- repetition maximum. The maximum amount of reps you can achieve at a certain weight.
● SDHP- sumo deadlift high pull. Feet are wide, hands are narrow, stand up and pull the object up to collar bone height
● SNT- snatch. Pulling an object explosively from ground to overhead in one motion.
● T2B- toes to bar. Similar to K2E but you will aim your toes to make contact with a bar
● WB- wall ball. Squatting with a medicine ball then throwing the ball at a target above
● WOD- workout of the day
● W/UP- warm up
● THE “GIRLS”- a series of benchmark workouts created by crossfit headquarters that are universally known among the
● THE “HEROES”- a hero workout is a tribute workout in honor of a fallen crossfitter ( either soldier, sailor, airman, marine ,
firefighter, or police officer) that died in the line of duty. Typically very tough workouts that are recognized amongst most
We want to wish every Mom in our Gym a wonderful Mother's Day! Being a mother is no easy feat! I am pretty sure I drove my mom crazy until I left for college! But I am thankful for how my mom raised me to become the person I am today. Love ya, Momma! It is no different for your children, whom I have the pleasure of tripping over in the gym when you aren't looking! You all have amazing hearts and show nothing but compassion, support and love for your little ones to help them grow! You will always be there for them! While some may not realize all that you are doing for them... in time, they will come to realize that you are, and will always be, the most influential person in their life. Happy Mother's Day.
I know I am missing so many awesome moms in the pictures! Don't strangle me! I just didn't have any on my computer.
Kevin and Kayla,
It has only been a week since you left us, but we are all missing you terribly and hoping for nothing but the best while you are away for the next few years! It feels like just a little while ago that you two stumbled in our doors, forced Kayla to join our Super Team for the Atlanta competition, and began taking on classes to give me hand!! Time flew by! I was a little glad that you didn't want to sign up for the Open under our Gym when you fist came in, since both of you kicked my butt!! I would not have been number 1 in the gym that year! Haha. Well...technicalities, forgetfulness from Chris Snipes, and Injuries for Chris Simmons may have also helped me along, but whatever! I'll take the Win! Once you began coaching here at Unyielding, you two started to connect with all of our wonderful members! We all welcomed your help and support as we grew stronger, together! Both of you have wonderful and kind hearts! Anyone is lucky to cross your paths! It was only a year and some change that you were with us, but it felt like we had known you guys forever. From all of us here at Unyielding.... Thank you for all your coaching and support. Thank you for the laughs. Thank you for all the memories. Thank you from the bottom of my heart! You two really really helped me out tremendously! We cannot wait to see what life has to offer the both of you! We will always be here when you decide to come back! Good luck and see you soon!!!